Monday, March 14, 2022

Endings and Beginnings

 

It has been a strange couple of years, full of changes many of us could never have predicted. For me, it has just gotten stranger, although not in a bad way. Tuesday, March 15th marks my last day as manager and executive director of The Artisans’ Guild, the artists’ cooperative shop my friend Ellie and I started over 22 years ago. As of Wednesday the 16th, I will officially be a full-time writer.

The Guild has been the center of my universe for a long time, and I have been blessed to have a job that I loved (most days), and to have spent my life surrounded by beautiful things and fabulous, creative people. But in the end, trying to balance the demands of the shop and the demands of writing because impossible, and I had to make a choice. Thankfully, we were able to find someone to step into my shoes who I believe can help the Guild to continue to prosper and grow.

People have asked me how I am going to celebrate leaving the shop, and to be honest, I don’t really feel like celebrating letting go of such an important piece of my life and my identity. It is, I won’t kid you, a loss in many ways. Instead, I will celebrate embracing my role as author, and hopefully, my increasing success in the days ahead. I guess we’ll see, won’t we. Life is full of difficult choices, and there is no progress without change.

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well. Fingers crossed.




 

2 comments:

  1. No development, no advance without change. You are going to be a successful full time writer, Deborah. Your readers are waiting for you. With Love, from Barcelona,

    Flora

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis