Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Signs of Spring

It's the first week of May and in theory, we are solidly into spring. The reality at my house is a little less...springy. It was 35 degrees out when I woke up this morning, and my heat had kicked on. Between the cold and the constant rain, I've barely gotten anything done in the garden. Lettuce and spinach went in a few weeks ago, and are barely showing bits of green above the soil. Last weekend I put in about 180 strawberry plants, thanks to my friend JC. Other than that, I've done a little clean up, but that's it. I don't even have peas in yet. (Hopefully this afternoon after work.) If it wasn't for the garlic, planted last fall, it wouldn't look like a garden at all.

But slowly, I'm starting to see signs of spring, so hopefully it will really show up at last. (They're calling for warmer temps by the later part of the week and weekend...along with chances of rain every day. Sigh.)

Still, there's this, seen out the living room window. I have lots of rabbits in my yard, and I often see them chasing each other around at this time of year. They're playing, right? Right?

 And chives, poking out of the ground through last year's leaves.

 The first crocuses.

Frogs in the garden fish pond.

 The return of a couple of last year's beautiful kestrals (a kind of small hawk). I had a family nesting in a hole in the side of the barn, and it looks like I may get a repeat this year.

 And then there is the ultimate sign of spring...shedding cats.

I spent about 20 minutes brushing Magic the Cat (Queen of the Universe, Shedder Extraordinaire). You can see the result. That's A LOT of fur. (She clearly thinks I did a sloppy job grooming her, and is finishing up the rest herself.) And no, you're not seeing things--my black cat sheds gray fur. Hey, she's MAGIC. Her brother and mother are both gray, and Magic has a gray undercoat, which is most of what she sheds in the spring.

This makes it official...spring really is here.

What signs of spring are you seeing?

3 comments:

  1. Ditto, here. I've finally got some seedlings springing up after the last 4-days-straight-rain episode we had. But, our temps tease us around 60 during the day while still dropping down to 40 or below at night. I'm looking forward to warmer weather and a happier garden.

    The seasons seem to be shifting. We had snow at Spring Equinox this year, and it used to ALWAYS be safe to plant by April 15th in my zone. No more. I'm not sorry. It forces me to pay attention to and be in sync with the planet rather than the calendar.

    Many blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. W-wow, LONG TIME NO TALK TO! Wasn't getting the email notifs for the blog for the longest time, and more recently, I've been doing a lot of my online stuff on my phone, which is not conducive to a lot of things...like getting to comment here.

    First HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!! (And...what else have I missed - Beltane, Imbolc, New Year's...YULE, I think...o.o) Have fun this Saturday! And so great getting to see the renewal of your sacred circle! One day, I hope to have a place where I can do much the same. (Apartment living or living with VERY VERY Christian parents doesn't allow for much in that vein, ugh.) Here's to hoping things warm up for you soon and you're able to get your garden going in earnest.

    HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Deb its in the 80's in Rutherfordton, NC we opened the pool today. Its not ready to swim in yet and we have to put some more water in. But its beautiful here. Hope you Beltane was great. Mine was very quiet since I am a solitary. But still great.
    Brightest Blessings,
    Jo-Anne
    PS I don't miss Gloversville at all. Then again who would.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis