Sunday, October 18, 2015

Free Short Story! (A Veiled Magic Short)


In case you didn't get the last newsletter, this is part of what was in it:

As I’m sure you all know, my next book, VEILED MAGIC is coming out on November 17th. (EEK!) This one isn’t part of the Baba Yaga series, although it does feature a witch. In fact, it is one of my favorites of all the books I’ve written and the one that got me my agent. Since the next Baba Yaga book, WICKEDLY POWERFUL, isn’t coming out until February, Berkley decided to buy VEILED MAGIC and put it out as an eBook to tide people over. If it does well enough, they might put it out and print and continue the series. We’ll have to wait and see. But in the meanwhile, I have a surprise for you. You see, there is a short story.

In fact, the short story, Dead and (Mostly) Gone is where the idea for VEILED MAGIC came from in the first place. The story was published in THE PAGAN ANTHOLOGY OF SHORT FICTION: 13 PRIZE WINNING TALES back in 2008, and many of the folks who read it said, “You should write a novel about that character.” So I did.  Sadly, the Anthology is out of print (although I have a few copies I’ll be giving away soon), so you can’t read the short story that started it all. Or CAN YOU????

In fact, you can. As a gift to my lovely readers, I am going to put it up on my website for free. (It’s not a very long short story—I just didn’t feel right charging for it. Besides, y’all have been so wonderful. You deserve a reward!) If you want a first look at Donata, the protagonist from VEILED MAGIC, you can go read the story HERE. Enjoy!

VEILED MAGIC: Barnes & Noble |Amazon |Penguin

I’m going to be doing all sorts of giveaways leading up to the publication day of VEILED MAGIC (and then the next Baba Yaga novella in January and the novel in February) so you might want to follow the blog by email so you can be sure you don’t miss a thing. There’s a place to sign up at the left side of the blog



In fact, I'm going to be doing giveaways every week until the book comes out. Are you excited NOW?

3 comments:

  1. Loved it! Can't wait to read Veiled Magic now and yes, I preordered, which I barely ever do. Good luck, and if anyone at Berkley is reading this - make this a series!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope the Chief brightens her workspace, Ashe said he would.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story - descriptive yet succinct. Thanks for the read.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis