Friday, August 8, 2014

A Supermoon Spell for Love

 

As you probably already know, the full moon this Sunday (August 10th) is going to be what they call a "Supermoon." A Supermoon occurs when a full moon coincides with the time in the moon's orbit when it is closest to the Earth. This makes for a full moon that looks larger than usual--and the one this coming Sunday is going to be that biggest Supermoon this year.

Beyond the fact that it will be pretty glorious to look upon, you might wonder if a Supermoon is more powerful for doing magical work than any old regular full moon. I'm going to go with: yes.

Think about how much energy a regular full moon has (I have a hard time sleeping for a few days around the full moon for this very reason), and then think about it being closer, and more visually and energetically present. In short, if it seems more powerful, it probably is.

What does this mean for those who practice the magical arts? It's a good time to pull out the spells that mean the most to you; the ones you really want to work. And since here in the Northern hemisphere it is the height of summer, with all its attendant heat and late nights, I thought I'd share a love spell for you to use this full moon, if you are feeling the need for a little more love in your life.

I'm not a big believer in using love spells, per se. I think it is too easy to interfere with someone's free will that way, and I'm definitely a "free will is the law" kind of witch. But this is a different kind of love spell. I first used it in The Goddess is in the Details, and I liked it so much, I put it into The Everyday Witch A to Z Spellbook too. It's a spell not to cast on a particular person, or even with someone special in mind--instead, it works only on the one who casts it, because it is a spell to open yourself to love. (This doesn't have to be romantic love, either. It can be friendship, which in its truest form is most certainly a kind of love.)

So if you want something powerful to recite under an extra powerful moon, here it is, my gift to you. After all, couldn't the world use more love?

I ask the moon and stars above
To open my heart to perfect love
Striving not, nor chasing after
But open wide to love and laughter

Hopeful am I and willing, too
To open myself to lover’s woo
But while I wait for love that’s meant
With myself I’ll be content

I wish for love that’s true and right
Filled with joy and shining light
I release all that which blocks my way
And open my heart to one who’ll stay


I hope the moon brings you something (or someone) fabulous.

8 comments:

  1. I love this! I need this badly and I thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the reminder, Miss Deborah. I could certainly use a push on this next book. Writerly vibes and energy appreciated since I already have the love of my life.
    Blessings ~Rain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky woman! And writerly vibes coming at you. did you ever use the "Success in Writing" spell in the A-Z Spellbook?

      Delete
  3. Thanks for writing a blog that is uplifting to read. I know that some people blog as a way of releasing the negative in their life and hopefully that helps them, but it is a pleasure to read a blog that makes me feel better after I've read it. I appreciate the lovely photos you post of your garden and the always charming kitty updates. May all the good energy that you send out come back to you threefold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome. I do occasionally, blog about my various trials and tribulations here, but I try to do so in a humorous way. (Plumbing, anyone?)

      But you're right--for the most part, I'd just as soon not spend time here talking about the negative. I'd much rather cheer people up than drag them down. I'm glad you like it.

      Delete
  4. This - is perfect! And perfect timing too. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings!...I've nominated your blog for "The Witchy Blog Award"-- and I want to personally thank you for inspiring me, entertaining me, enlightening me, and for giving your time and effort and talent to the wonderful world of blogging. Technology rocks! Keep on writing-- your words are magickal!

    Blessings,
    Amythyst Raine-Hatayama
    ____________________

    The Rules:

    Dedicate at least part of a post to receiving the award and share the award logo
    Thank the blogger who passed the award to you
    Answer the seven questions below
    Nominate five Wiccan/Pagan bloggers (If you don’t know five other Wiccan bloggers, nominate as many as you can)
    Notify your nominees of their pending award
    Stop by Ayslyn’s Corner to add your name to the list of bloggers awarded

    Seven Questions: (You may customize as long as they are still Wiccan and Pagan related)

    How did you “discover” Wicca/Witchcraft/Neo-Paganism?
    Do you grow herbs?
    Are you “in the broom closet”?  If not, share your coming out experience.
    What tradition do you follow, if any?
    Do you consider yourself a Witch, Wiccan or Pagan (or maybe something else)?
    How much of Witchcraft/Wicca are you able to incorporate into your everyday life?
    Do you have a familiar? If you do, tell us how you met him/her, and how she/he takes part in your practice (if at all).
    ____________________

    ps-- apparently links don't show up in comments, but you'll find The Witchy Blog Award logo on my blog...it's so pretty-- done in black & white pencil sketch fashion.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis