Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Mystic, An Update


I took Mystic back to see his vet today, a follow-up to the emergency visit last week when he had to see someone else because she was on vacation. As many of you know, my giant gray cat Mystic (not so large anymore, alas), the brother to Magic, has been going downhill for some months now. We're still not really sure what's causing the issue--x-rays haven't shown much, and blood tests show us all sorts of issues, including kidney failure, which is a new development in the last few months, and an unexplained very low red blood cell count. He lost his appetite and a lot of weight (going from 16.8 lbs to his current 12.2) and had problems pooping, but we've never really figured out why. There could be an underlying cancer we've never found, or it could simply be age, although even fifteen year old cats don't usually fall apart for no reason.

Mommy, I don't feel well.

We'd managed to stabilize him to some extent. Half a prednisone every other day got him eating again, and three other meds kept him pooping. Recently I also started giving him subq fluids at home, something I had all-too-much practice with from dealing with Samhain's six year fight against renal failure.

But then he peed outside the box three times in eight days. (Copious amounts, but not stinky, thank goodness, because he drinks so  much water.) I was pretty sure it wasn't another UTI, because that's not how he manifests them, and tests showed I was right. The vet we saw last Wednesday suggested that it was possible it was happening because he was in pain, and I thought that was likely because he'd been sitting all hunched over and also really being nasty and aggressive with Magic all of a sudden, unlike his usual periodic bullying.

So the vet tried him on a strong painkiller, which was premeasured in syringes I could just squirt into Mystic's mouth. The verdict was very clear--his behavior changed almost immediately, and he hasn't peed on the floor since, he's mostly better with his sister, and he is obviously more comfortable. This was a little bit "good news, bad news." Obviously it meant he was in increased amounts of pain, which was bad (and probably another indicator of the worsening of his condition, as was the fact that he had lost another pound after staying stable for a few months at 13.4). Plus, this medicine is usually used on a temporary basis only, usually for post-op pain relief. There are very few pain meds that can be used on cats, unfortunately, so our options were limited.

So we went back today to see his beloved regular vet to get her take on this. Luckily, she agreed with me that at this point, any possible negative issues from the painkiller were offset by the necessity to keep him comfortable and reasonably happy. (Basically, he's on kitty hospice, although there is no way to tell if he has a month or six.) He's on a half dose, which seems to be doing the trick for now. It's expensive stuff, of course, but I don't care. He may be fifteen years old, but he is still my baby, and I'm going to do whatever I can to make sure that whatever time he has left is as good as I can make it.

He is, if anything, more affectionate than ever, and I feel blessed that I have such a great vet, and good friends who are willing to care for him--bazillion meds and all--when I go out of town. He's a damned good cat.

Stretchhhhhh. I feel better!

18 comments:

  1. Toby needed bup for awhile. Let us know if we can help *hug*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did he have any issues on it? It said online that it could cause constipation, which Mystic already has, but he has actually pooped better since we started it. (Which probably indicates that at least part of the issue stemmed from discomfort.)

      Delete
  2. Enjoy every minute you have with him. I lost my Louie to lymphoma but don't regret the money spent to keep him with me and comfortable for an extra week. When it is time to say goodbye, he will let you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely am. I almost lost him a year ago last July, and I've counted every day since then as a blessing.

      Delete
  3. I know how hard this is. Hugs for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Time to get that kitty some more lobster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He can have it if he wants it! I think he needs cake. No, wait, that's me.

      Delete
  5. Bless him Bast with comfort and continued happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor Mystic! What a relief to have found him the proper care! Now he's a happy kitty....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My vet (the entire practice, really) is fabulous. I feel very lucky. The techs and receptionists greet us by name. He couldn't be getting better care.

      Delete
  7. Sending hugs. I hope he can stay comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen. That's my hope too. When we can no longer keep him comfortable, that's when I will have to make some difficult decisions.

      Delete
  8. HUGS ♥ sending good energy your way ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hugs great big hugs. I am dealing with my 12 y/o boy Jesse who is having issues. So far he eats and litter boxes fine but his balance sucks. Without expensive tests the vet and I both think he had a stroke or two but since he can still eat, drink, potty and walk he will stay with me til the end. I have had to put a crib mattress beside my bed so he doesn't fall far off the bed if his balance tips him over. Small price to pay for love of our fur-kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor baby! I hope he continues to hang in there, and that so do you! *hugs*

      Delete
  10. Good luck with your senior citizen. I hope he continues to feel good. We also have some senior cats, but they are still doing well. It's so difficult when your children can't tell you exactly where it hurts or if it hurts.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis