Monday, June 30, 2014

A Day at the Faerie Fest

One of my favorite days of the year is the day I spend at the NY Faerie Festival in Ouaquaga, NY (right outside of Binghamton in the middle of some beautiful countryside). The Faerie Fest was started by some local folks from the Binghamton Pagan and musical community five years ago, and I've made it there for 4 years out of 5. I always have a blast. Of course, part of that is because the Faerie Fest is located just down the road from where my wonderful friends Robin and George live, along with my goddess-children Sophie (now 7) and Nate (6). So every year, my pal Ellen and I make a pilgrimage to the Festival, accompanied by Robin and the kids.

These are a few of the things we saw, experienced, and enjoyed:
All sorts of entertainment, including a parade with the Queen of Faerie and her court, a dragon, and lots of great music...



One of the highlights for me was getting to see one of my favorite New York State bands, Frenchy and the Punk
 Lots of hard work and imagination meant that everywhere you looked, you saw something clever and magical in the woods.



This guy was actually overhead, up in a tree!
 We bumped into Patsy, one of the Blue Moon Circle ladies. She and Karen are involved in the event, and Karen's guy Glen actually owns the beautiful piece of land the event takes place on.

The kids had a blast wading in the creek (there were mermaids in the creek too, but they were on break while we were down there).

 Can you tell we were having a good time?


Another bonus was getting to meet Dawn Hunt, the author of a great little magical cook book and creator of her own yummy line of magical cooking oils and other goodies. (Yes, of course I brought some home with me!)

And LOOK! I found a little Chudo-Yudo! 
(The white pit bull/dragon in disguise from WICKEDLY DANGEROUS)

The weather was absolutely gorgeous, the company was great, and I really enjoyed having a rare day to just relax and have fun. If you ever get the chance, you should go. It's magical!

Ellen, me, Nate, and Sophie at the end of the day--tired but happy.

2 comments:

  1. Chudo-yudo is darling, but I hope you hugged the Blue Heeler next to him for me!
    Stopping by to say The Witch's Broom arrived Saturday and as soon as I've finished it it will travel on to become a birthday present.
    Mary Anne in Kentucky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry--both dogs were sweeties, and both got pets :-)

      Hope you're enjoying the book! (Don't forget to post a review.)

      Delete

ShareThis