Monday, December 15, 2014

The Holiday Secret Even My Best Friends Don't Know

I admit it--Christmas has never been my holiday.

Not that I have anything against it, it just was never a big part of my life. I grew up Jewish and celebrated Chanukah. Then as an adult, I became a Pagan and now I celebrate Yule (the Winter Solstice). There were a couple of years in there when I was married, and put up a tree with my then-husband for my step-daughter, but otherwise, Christmas was pretty much something my friends celebrated that  didn't have much to do with me.

This is sometimes a good thing, especially since I have to work Christmas Eve every year until The Artisans' Guild closes at 4PM (we have a running joke about it at the shop, since the glass blower who usually works with me is a Buddhist...but that way everyone else gets to be with their families). And I never have to worry about masses of decorations and such during what is my busy season. I still give my friends presents of course--for Christmas, or Chanukah, or Yule...

All of which makes my holiday secret even more ironic, and a little giggle-worthy. Even my friends don't know what I'm about to tell you. (I'm not ashamed or anything...it has just never come up. Really.)

I have two weaknesses at this time of year: Hallmark Christmas movies and romance novels about Christmas. I KNOW--I said it was ironic!

This year's reading, among others.
 I don't know exactly what it is that draws me to these admittedly sappy movies and books about a holiday I don't even observe. There is something warm and comforting about them, I suppose, that makes me happy during the harried madness of the season and the cold and dark of the winter nights.

So, now you know my secret. Shhhhh...don't tell anyone. But you can tell me--do YOU watch Hallmark Christmas movies or read holiday-themed books? (And if so, which are your favorites) It's okay if you do. Your secret is safe with me.


19 comments:

  1. funny enough my favorite hallmark movies are the good witch series! but i do like watching all sorts of christmas movies especially with my kiddos. we have a mixed celebration. We put up lights on the house, we put up a tree, i have reindeers and santa's etc all over. We send our holiday cards (however they usually say Yule). Our focus is spending time with family, helping others when we can and just enjoying being together. It's a blend of the holidays but since so much of Christmas really has pagan practice roots it doesn't feel weird or anything :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me :-)

      Delete
    2. Although halloween is a much bigger deal at our house. We decorate and have a stack of our movies to watch! :)

      Delete
  2. I am addicted to Hallmark Christmas movies- I have almost all of them recorded on my DVR. I'll watch at least one a day from here until Christmas. I do read some holiday books- I love the ones that mash up paranormal elements with the holidays. I also have been enjoying Krampus stories- a little dark twist on traditional Christmas tales.

    But the Hallmark movies...that's where all the touchy feelies come out. I watched The Christmas Ornament last week- so many sniffles and tears welling up. And The Nine Lives of Christmas...I can see that story being about my daughter in the future LOL. One Christmas Eve...that puppy...that's all I'll say in case you haven't watched that one yet LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We moved into our new house a month ago and still haven't set up the tv in our bedroom. i'm slacking this year looking for random holiday movies to dvr. I did record one for the kids called Santa Hunters? but we haven't watched it yet lol! I'll have to see if i can catch The ones you mention above!

      Delete
    2. I set the DVR to tape the Nine Lives movie and it didn't. Bah.

      Delete
  3. I'm addicted to YA holiday novels/anthologies. Go figure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love, love, love the Good Witch series. I also watch the Hallmark channel all year long. I am not a big fan of Christmas because it is a sad time of year for me and it has become too commercialized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you see that they are making the Good Witch into an actual series? (Although I think there is a different actor playing the husband, which is going to bug me.)

      I'm sorry Christmas is a sad time of year for you--at least you've got a nice little package on the way :-)

      Delete
    2. Yes I did see! It will be an adjustment but I am hopeful. I just ordered book 1 on my Kindle! I can't wait to read them!

      Delete
  5. My daughter and I tend to watch all the cartoon favourites. Peanuts, Grinch, Frosty, Rudolph etc. There is one from years ago that I've been meaning to introduce though called George and the Star. The actual movies I never really got into except for White Christmas with Bing Crosby and Rosemary Clooney. Love that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the older movies like It's a Wonderful Life, White Christmas, Miracle on 34th Street, and Holiday Affair (a darling movie). I'm not big on Hallmark movies, there was one in 1987 called The Room Upstairs that is lovely. I'm not big on Christmas. Too many emotions and uncertainties. I like some of the traditions and I love to give gifts and I love the festiveness of the year. And the singing. My family isn't big on Christmas so I've gotten far away from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a lot of the older movies, although for some reason I can't stand It's a Wonderful Life. (I have issues with suicide, so that might be it.)

      I also like some newer ones like Serendipity (with the ever-wonderful John Cusak) and Love Actually.

      Delete
  7. I really enjoyed Christmas time, my partner hates Christmas! But that is due to a shitty childhood he had.
    So I try to dial back on my "Christmas Cheer" for his sake. I do love reading Holiday Anthologies. And watching the Christmas Carols on TV. Not really a fan of Christmas Movies though. And I don't have or really know what Hallmark Channel is... as we don't have it here in OZ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the time you're not missing much :-) Are there any particularly good holiday movies in Oz

      Delete
  8. Just this year my 9-year-old has started recognizing that there are some movies we watch every year: Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town, Rudolph (of course), Elf, and now, A Christmas Story. We were surprised that he wanted to see that, because he didn't seem to like it much last year, but it was the first one he asked for this year.

    My reading gets a little weird at the end of the year. I start wanting to read Louisa May Alcott (usually Rose in Bloom, occasionally Little Women) and English mysteries. Right now I'm reading a Martha Grimes, with Agatha Christie for backup. I also go back to the fantasy favorites I read as a teenager, like The Hobbit and The Last Unicorn. I think this has to do with the books I used to get as Christmas presents. I remember ALWAYS reading all day on Christmas while the adults sat around and talked about boring stuff. :-)

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis