Friday, December 5, 2014

Feline Friday: Mystic's Surgery Edition


Some of you are already acquainted with my cat Mystic the Magnificent, brother of the slightly-more-famous Magic the Cat (Queen of the Universe). Mystic is my big guy--a little over 16 lbs, with shoulders that stand about 3 inches above those of his sister and mother. He's mostly a gentle giant, when he's not trying to kill poor Samhain (who weighs a tad over 6 lbs and never did anything to him other than to refuse to back down in the 8 years she's lived here) or pick on his mom or sister. But really, just a big Pooh Bear most of the time.

About 7 months ago, I found a little lump at the base of his neck. Nothing much--about the size of a pencil eraser--but it didn't go away, so I took him to the vet. She poked and prodded it, said it was probably nothing, and to just keep an eye on it. (Have I mentioned that I love my vet? I do. She's the best.)

About a month and a half ago, I took Mystic, Magic, and their mom Minerva for their yearly check-up and shots (yes, it IS fun taking them all at once, thank you for asking). Dr. Baker looked at the lump, said it looked exactly the same, and to watch and wait.

So naturally, two weeks after that, the lump suddenly got much bigger. It was obvious he'd been kicking at it, so it may have been just the area around it. Back to the vet we went, and she said, "Yup. We should probably take that off." Scheduled surgery for a week later.

At which point I looked at the lump, and it was right back to its original size. *headdesk*

I deprived him of breakfast and dropped him off before work anyway, with the message that the doc should do what she thought best. She voted to "watch and wait" again, and home we went.

Upon which he kicked at the lump again, and it got bigger. Again. *repeat headdesk*

So this Monday we went through the whole thing again (except that now he was wise to me and hid behind the furniture and made me chase him around for 15 minutes before I could stuff him in the carrier) and this time the danged lump came off. (Along with a sizeable chunk of my wallet.) The vet sent the lump out for a biopsy, and we should hear back sometime next week. I'm not too worried, really, but a few crossed fingers and some aggressive wood-knocking might be good.

Here's poor Mystic after. He came home wearing a surgical stocking to keep him from scratching at the stitches, but as you can see, it didn't really fit well. Bad spot, large cat. Also, he unraveled part of it and tried to choke himself.
They shaved a LOT of fur.
 So I went to the pet store to look for an alternative. Unfortunately, he is SO big, most of the kitty things didn't work. But I did find this cute kitty pirate harness with hoodie.
Like, man, he's the Cat in the Hood

Cute, isn't it?

Mystic didn't think so.
Needless to say, the cat was not amused. My cats don't go outside, so they've never even worn collars. This is my friend Julie's coat he's sitting on. I think he was hoping to go home with her.

This one worked for a while, until Wednesday night, when the incision must have really started itching. It did seem to keep him from getting at the stitches, but it didn't really go up high enough, and by Thursday morning, it looked like this.
Guess I'm not going to be able to take this one back to the store.
 So Thursday after work, I went back to the pet store and found this cool coat meant for a small dog instead. Is it just me, or does he look a little like The Fonz? That's Minerva, looking extremely dubious.

Coolest cat on the block. Also, no way to reach the stitches, because of the collar.

He's still unimpressed.


Hopefully, this will keep the stitches intact until we go back to the vet next Wednesday to have them removed. Anyone else have any cat (or dog) surgery stories to share?

11 comments:

  1. Oh my, the stories I could tell about the eighteen plus years we had our beloved dog. At eighteen months, he contracted histoplasmosis. This was all happening while our regular vet was out with mononucleosis and our dog went for an overnight visit to Ohio State Veterinary School for a confirmation of diagnosis. Thankfully our vet returned to his practice in time for our Pup's chemo - three times a week for six weeks. We loved our vet back in Ohio - he was a slow talking, kind vet who didn't charge an arm and a leg.

    We also had a wonderful vet here in Florida who cared for our dog and cat for all their years here. Along the way were cat neutering, tooth extraction, cyst removal, cones of shame to protect stitches and various other regular pet visits.

    Our cat would not take pills no matter how they were administered. She once had to have a course of antibiotics for a week, so I had to take her to the vet every day for a shot. Out vet was so helpful that on Sunday, he had me take her to his house to get her shot.

    I hope all goes well for Mystic (and you). It's so hard when our fur babies need medical treatment. And I agree that Mystic looks totally cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mystic had to have a tooth out earlier in the year--one had broken off even with the gum line and the rest had to come out. He didn't do well with the antibiotics (not a problem taking them, just terrible gastric distress after a week). Thankfully, my vet now used a time-release antibiotic shot for most applications, so no pills and no upset tummy. (Although I'm still giving him probiotics.)

      Delete
  2. In the third paragraph that should read Our vet. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope Samhain is dancing, prancing, and laughing at Mystic while it's possible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Har. It hasn't really slowed him down much. She's still keeping her distance and looking over her shoulder a lot. Although she might be snickering at his coat when he's not looking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Mystic! Get well soon big guy!

    Kit

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh poor big boy. But he does look very cool. Like the Fonz, but in middle age where he's outgrown his jacket. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah--you know your cat is big when even a small dog coat isn't large enough for him :-)

      Delete
  7. poor guy. I love the pirate cover up though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. When our big guy got in a fight we used feminine napkins with duct tape wrapped around twice. Worked very nicely. When he tried to scratch it just turned around but did not come loose. Have enjoyed your books and look forward to more. Thanks, Hat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay...I never thought about doing that :-) Very clever!

      Delete

ShareThis