Tuesday, September 23, 2014

The Super Sekrit Project REVEALED!


I've been teasing you all for a couple of months now by occasionally mentioning the Super Sekrit Project I've been working on--but I swear, it wasn't my fault.

The thing about publishing is that you don't want to announce any project, no matter how certain it seems, until you have a contract. And the contract for this project was unusually complicated because there were two people involved.

That got your attention, didn't it? Okay--here is your first hint. This is other person who is working on the Super Sekrit Project with me: Elisabeth Alba

Go ahead, take a look. I'll wait. Do you have a guess what the project might be?

Here's another hint: this project is for Llewellyn, but it is completely different from anything I have ever done before.

NOW do you have a guess?

*bounce* *bounce* *bounce*

Okay, I'll tell you!

I'm doing a TAROT DECK.
I know! How cool is that? (Can you tell I'm a little excited?) I hadn't really planned to do anything else with Llewellyn, beyond the book I have coming out in March [Everyday Witchcraft, a follow-up to The Goddess is in the Details, which just went back for an 6th printing, by the way.]. I'm mostly focusing on the fiction for now. But when I got offered the chance to do a tarot deck, the project was just too fun and cool to say no to. And then they found Elisabeth to do the art, and I was even happier I'd said yes, because I really love her work.

We don't know what it is going to be called, although we are using "Retro Tarot" as a working title, because the style is loosely based on the art for the front cover of The Witch's Broom. You remember that, right?


We'll probably end up calling it something like "Everyday Witch Tarot" or "Practical Witch Tarot," because as usual, I'll be taking a simple, practical, and easily accessible approach. It is my job to come up with the theme, and the descriptions for all 78 cards (we are using the basic Rider-Waite tarot as a base to work from, since most people are familiar with those cards). And then write a 300 page book to go with the cards, which Elisabeth creates based on my descriptions. She's amazing, so I think this deck is going to be really something.

Here's a little note from Elisabeth (who is going to do a blog post of her own about the project--as soon as she's done GETTING MARRIED): 
I'm very excited to be working with Deborah on this tarot project over the next year and a half. Her writing and my art are meshing fantastically so far, and I can't wait to see what other cards await my pen and paintbrush! This will be a fun collaboration, and I'm very pleased and honored to be working on it with Deborah and everyone at Llewellyn.
(And yes, she did say "year and a half." That's how long it takes to create a tarot deck, mostly because of the insane amount of artwork involved. So this won't be out until sometime in 2016. Darn it.)

Here's a little sample of what we're working on:
The Queen of Pentacles

The Queen of Pentacles

And here's what it will say about the card in the book:


Caption: “Prosperity and abundance come in many forms.”
Underneath caption: You have everything you need and most of what you want. Life is full of gifts, if you open your heart and spirit to them.
Detailed explanation of card:
Prosperity is as a much a state of mind as it is the state of your bank account. There is abundance all around you, and people who will help you achieve your goals. If you are rooted in the earth and tuned into the glory of the world around you, it is that much more likely that you too will blossom and grow. Be the Queen of your own domain, but rule with love and an open heart.
Things to consider – Do you appreciate the riches in your life, whatever form they take? Are you open to new opportunities? Are you fully present in your own life? How can you make the most of the possibilities available to you now, and how can you prepare for any new possibilities that lie ahead? Embrace your own power without fear. Be open to help from others who are willing to work for your benefit. Remember that prosperity doesn’t have to mean money.
 
The 4 of Swords

The 4 of Swords


Caption: “To Sleep, Perchance to Dream”
Underneath caption: Are you resting, or retreating?
Detailed explanation of card:
We all need to pull back from the world from time to time; take a break, catch our breath, and regroup. The trick is to know the difference between the lack of movement that is positive and beneficial, and the lack of movement that means we are stuck, in a state of suspended animation.
Things to consider: Depending on where this card falls in a reading, it may be a suggestion that you need to rest and refresh your spirit, giving yourself the time and space to renew body, mind, and spirit. Alternately, it may indicate that you are stuck in a rut, spinning your wheels when you should be taking action. Are you tired and overwhelmed? Or are you running away from making the tough choices or taking decisive action that you know is needed. Is there someone in your life who is holding you back, or whose lack of action has a negative effect on your current circumstances? This card indicates that they are stuck, and probably not going to change. Do you need a rest or a wake-up call?

As you can see, we are using lots of traditional imagery, like black hats, and brooms, and black cats. I'm having a blast working on this project, and I'm so glad I can finally share it with all of you! What do you think?

31 comments:

  1. have fun! It will be a beautiful deck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love having the opportunity to create the deck of my dreams! And I just love Elisabeth's illustrations, don't you?

      Delete
  2. Congratulations Deborah, I see why your so excited. This sound like it will be a blast to create and quite an honor I would think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is an honor. I'd thought about doing one, but the opportunity is rare, since they only put out a couple of new decks each year. I couldn't say no!

      Delete
  3. WOW! This looks gorgeous...I'm definitely going to make this the next deck I get! Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is going to be amazing, I think :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheryl McCullough elliottSeptember 23, 2014 at 8:57 AM

    This is going to be an awesome deck...I will be one of the first in line ready to buy it as soon as it's available...congrats and have lots of fun doing it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to confess, despite the amount of work involved, I am having a blast!

      Delete
  6. Brilliant dahlink--and going to totally be worth the wait! ♥ Congrats!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Schwee!!! I too will pounce on the preorder button asap. Will you do an art blog of each card like the that Steampunk Tarot's collaborators did?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not every single one, but we will do another few posts with art. Elisabeth is about to go get married, but when she gets back, she'll probably do a blog post of her own :-)

      Delete
  8. This is fantastic! Such a cool idea, and from the samples I can say you and Elisabeth are doing beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is going to be Great!!! I can't wait until it's available to order :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So far so fantastic, I am a Tarot lover and those images are great, as are the captions. As I said before I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A year and a half? Looking at the artwork samples here, I can understand. May you both be blessed on this journey. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG. ..This is super exciting. I've been searching for a new deck for some time! !! Yay you! (And US)
    X O, Michele

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my! Congratulations! Love the Q of P - kitties!! Looking forward to owning this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMGoddess!!! I am so excited!! This is definitely on my list now!!! I am new to tarot but perfectly addicted already! The cards are beautiful. The descriptions are fantastic! I can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is SO exciting! I usually read your blog post on Feedly (and I haven't figured out how to comment from there), so I logged onto my computer to leave one! Can't wait to see more of this not-as-super-sekrit-anymore project!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations! What a fabulous project. I love the artwork and the descriptions. I look forward to adding this to my small collection.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow. Just wow.

    Mary Anne in Kentucky

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous illustrations and very sensible and wise text. Enjoy the process, but don't forget your fiction. Waiting for the next novel......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As if I could. The first chapter of theoretical BABA 3 popped into my head this morning in the shower...

      Delete
  19. 18 months for a new deck? That's not long at all. You two are going to be quite busy! I buy decks based on how I relate to my favorite card, The Star. I votes for Magic to be featured on it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Har. You did notice all the little black cats, right? I think you're going to like what I have planned for The Star.

      Delete
  20. No wonder you are so excited. This is ssoo you! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your own deck! That's amazingly cool. I really, really like the sample art. Looking forward to when I can add it to my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my Goddess! YAY! I will have to buy it when it's available.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So how is the deck coming?!? It looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elisabeth should be finished with the paintings by the end of the year!

      Delete

ShareThis